Thursday 27 June 2013

Dance!

I’m dancing again!
There comes a point when routine becomes second nature, and socializing is just a series of motions one is going through. Much of the present is pre-planned and most of the future is predictable. Everything new soon becomes familiar; the much-sought-after stability is finally here… and then there’s something missing again!
Long back, my friend- ‘A’ shared this wisdom (attributed to Elvis Presley) with me- “To be happy you need 3 things- Something to do, Someone to love, and Something to look forward to”! Every time I am bothered by the vague anxiety brought on by monotony, this line usually helps point the missing gap- this time… this time round, it told me why I am suddenly a happier person J
After a longish while of droning along, I have found something that I ‘can’t hardly wait’ to do every.single.day.! I am dancing again!!
It is true we do not realize the value of what we have, until we lose it… even temporarily. Dancing my way from childhood to my teens, I didn’t realize at what point the college canteen replaced my dance lessons. Didn’t realize, when the laptop slowly pushed out the Nattuangam.
Never saw it happening… when did I hang up my dancing shoes? Or, in my case, my Ghungroos :P
But as I begin to pick up my feet, it’s like the years fall away, and the rhythm courses through like a familiar pulse! I find my thoughts pausing, trying to recollect the way the choreography flows; only to realize that my feet aren’t! And while the feet follow the pulsing rhythm, the mind goes back to the many girls whose feet once synced with mine. I remember the girl who would come all the way from Lonavla to Pune for the weekend classes. And another who cycled all over town, so she could save her transport money for the fees. Jatiswaram- Raga Kalyani, still brings to mind the tall, gangly image of a girl by the same name! Every time the stamina threatens to give away- the stern voice of my teacher still rings clear as if it were yesterday! The ballets, the costumes, back-to-back practice schedules, crazy days… a stage full of memories…
Today, when I dance, it is not only the joy of a passion rekindled… but also, of the many, many reminiscences! It is like a facet of ‘being’ rediscovered… like finding a secret window in the walled sameness of everyday… it’s like being reminded of what Someone Once Told Me - There's always a reason to dance!

No comments:

Post a Comment