Thursday 27 June 2013

The chronicles of Paraphernalia: the Girl, the Software, and the Wardrobe

Disclaimer: Complete and utter drivel. Do not read on if you have important things to do. Definitely read on if you enjoy bizarre ideas and amusing nonsense! :)

Wardrobes need cleaning. And as I tidied mine the other day, I found myself seriously considering labeled categories. Does that mean I own too much clothing? …Nahhhh!! I just have an incredibly ordered mind that reels at the thought of formal shirts getting mixed with round-neck Ts!
Imagine a row of hangers- colour coded, with suggestions of accessories; Heck, we could cross-reference! We could categorize by ethnicity / culture, occasion, season, purpose… even by names of people we could wear that garment around! :P
Plus, it would be great to keep track of what’s new, what’s old, what no longer fits (must face the unfortunate realities).
The advantages of labeled categories are many:
  1. The most obvious- I could find what I want when I want it!
  2. It’ll help me remember stuff I own. Maybe there’ll be fewer occasions where I go- “I have that?!”
  3. Will avoid embarrassing situations where I offer to lend clothes that I’ve already done away with.
A definite must-have would be In-Out baskets for laundry… and a system of putting ‘last-worn’ dates on the specific garment tags.
So I ran this idea past my office buddies, and I already have a couple of bids to create a software product to handle this burning requirement (yeh… I work in IT)! We propose to have a simple, graphic interface that lets users tag hangers and place them in categories. Some commonly used categories will be part of the ‘out-of-box’ software, and users can add some of their own. We intend to leave scope for customization.  Users will tag each hanger with the categories it would belong to. This would naturally enable logical grouping of accessories to be worn together. The most awesome feature would be this- the wardrobe will track the last-worn date from the time the hanger was last removed! Wow, I can see this is going to be one great product! What ideas may come, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment